Wardrobes House and Little Wardrobes are both listed buildings.
Wardrobes House, of red and vitreous brick, together with its associated Granary to the north-east, were constructed in the early nineteenth century. Little Wardrobes (Wardrobes Farm House) was built in the mid to late eighteenth century and incorporates a seventeenth century chimney, with later nineteenth century extensions.
Access was once via the small valley the path crosses. The Enclosure Award of 1823 refers to this valley as “Stepnall Furlong”, probably meaning “steep narrow valley”
Wardrobes is one of the more unusual place names of Buckinghamshire. The name probably derives from the Wardrobes family who held property in Aylesbury. Juliana atte Wardrobes demised land here in 1338.
The path continues across a field, heading roughly in a south-easterly direction, towards the village of Loosley Row in the distance. The house in the foreground is Wardrobes House.
Crossing a stile the path descends into a “hidden” valley. Over a further stile, and the path climbs gently maintaining its generally south-easterly direction, to join a boundary hedge on the left.
Follow the hedge, which passes close to Wardrobes House and Little Wardrobes qqpoker.
After crossing the drive of Wardrobes House, via two stiles, continue ahead, with the boundary hedge on the left, to a further stile.
Maintaining the same south-easterly direction, head across the field to another stile, leading to a final field and stile, and emerge onto a road at the junction of Woodway with Wardrobes Lane, Loosley Row.
Follow the road (Woodway) up the hill towards Lacey Green for just under a quarter of a mile and take the footpath on the left, which is opposite the properties Springbank and Oakhill House. Take care on this short, narrow and busy section of road without a pavement.
Where the path meets the road, Woodway, is a fine horse chestnut tree. During the spring it gives a brilliant display, with candles of white bloom. Later in the year, the fan shaped leaves, in a range of colours, are resplendent in autumnal glory. Under the boughs of this spreading chestnut tree a seat has been thoughtfully provided to enjoy a distant view over the site of the formerGoodearl-Risboro Ltd furniture factory as well as the surrounding countryside.
On the right of Woodway are a pair of houses, Woodway Farmhouse and Woodway House. These houses date from the late sixteenth early seventeenth century, but were reconstructed about a century later. The left half, rebuilt in flint with brick dressings, has a thatched roof. The right half, of irregularly chequered brick with first floor band couse, once served as a public house.